Monday, November 3, 2014

Musubi Baby!

First Son is on a soccer team that's pretty hardcore. They don't do anything halfway, which has been an adjustment for both First Son and myself--we do everything halfway and are full believers in the it's-good-enough philosophy.

This team is serious about their soccer and their after-soccer snacks. Back on the mainland, the kids get a bag of gummies and a Capri Sun after games. Here, they get a full meal. No lie. Hamburgers, sub sandwiches, fried chicken, and the all-time favorite: Spam Musubi.

I'm delicious. Really, I am.
Just so you know how regularly I disappoint those I love, I must tell you that I was calling this Spam Mus-a-bi, rhymes with wasabi and so my whole family started calling it Spam Mus-a-bi. I made some for the kids to take to school and they came home horrified that I had taught them the wrong way to pronounce it. So we're clear, it's Spam Musubi, rhymes with...boobie. Yes, I am the parent of a nine-year-old boy.

The first time we saw this we almost died with laughter--Spam and rice wrapped in seaweed, indeed! I took pics and posted them to Facebook to prove to my family and friends that I had in fact moved to another planet--this is what they give the kids after soccer. Then I took a bite and laughed no more.

 Daughter was all, "Meh," but my boys were instantly, deeply, and unabashedly in love. I was pretty enthralled myself. I knew I must learn how to make it, or else...buy it at the quick stop. Really, they sell these things everywhere on Oahu. But it's fun to make and the kids love to help.

To make Spam Musubi you need a Musubi mold. You can get these anywhere in Hawaii, but if you live on the mainland, you would probably have to send off for one. Or come visit me and you can have one of mine. I accidentally bought two because I thought I bought the wrong thing the first time and I hate dealing with Customer Service and refuse to return it.

So I was making twenty here and used two cans of Spam. Start by cutting them each into ten slices, 'cause it's kind of the perfect thickness.*

I promise I'm not human flesh.
Then you make a marinade--soy sauce and brown sugar, just however much you want.* Marinate the Spam in the soy sauce, brown sugar marinade for about fifteen minutes. I know. Marinated Spam. It's the wave of the future.

"I'm so fancy..."
While waiting for the Spam to marinate, go ahead and pour a Newcastle, because. Just do it. Trust me. It's the Hawaii way.

We're not Hawaiian, but you can still love us.
Or make the rice. Whatever. I honestly don't know how much rice. I made a butt-load for supper and just used what we didn't eat. And yes, butt-load is a mathematical term.*
This is an official "butt-load"
While all that is happening, take ten sheets of nori seaweed and cut them in half. Second Son loves this stuff and eats it straight from the bag, so I buy it in bulk from Costco.

Just another edible paper hanging out waiting to feel useful.
After Spam has marinated, cook it up in a frying pan until it's nice and brown and doesn't resemble human flesh.*

Look at how yummy I can be!
Gather your supplies: cooked Spam, butt-load of rice, Musubi mold, Furikake (rice seasoning), seaweed, and a bowl of water. By the way, while getting this stuff together, a mash-up of Payphone and Call Me Maybe played on Pandora. Why, Music? Why? I was just starting to trust you again.


Start by laying a sheet of seaweed shiny-side down. Place the Musubi mold in the middle and fill it with rice. Take the Musubi smusher and smush the rice down, pack it down super good, these need to be sturdy.
"Yeah, smush it..."

Sprinkle the smushed rice with Furikake and top with cooked Spam.


"Smush it real good."

Smush it all down again, carefully remove Musubi mold, and pry smusher off top.

"Yeah, you really got me going." I'll stop now.

Take sheet of nori and wrap up your Musubi really tight like a present. (OMG, Husband and kids are watching super-sad movie and I'm hoping salty tears will make Musubi taste even more delicious. So. Sad.)


Moisten fingers and seal it with water (or tears). Then, boo-yah (I just said boo-yah), you have Spam Musubi.


Wrap it up with plastic wrap and hide from First and Second Son because it will suddenly disappear.


* Just so we're clear, I have no idea what I'm doing here. Just kind of winging in...like I do in my writing, and parenting, and this whole life thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment