Thursday, November 6, 2014

Aloha and Other Things I'll Never Fully Understand


black, black and white, perspective, text, typography, word

There's this thing about living here, this thing about this place, this "'aina," that makes you feel something, makes you use words like 'aina instead of land. You realize how useless translation is. 'Aina doesn't just mean "land," it means land, this place, right here, the ground beneath your feet, come with me, run your fingers through the sand, taste the salt in the water, breathe the air, and you will know it. That's what 'aina means.

Then there's aloha--the most untranslatable word of them all. Not merely love, or hello, or goodbye, but breath and life and simply caring and feeling and 'aina and yes, love, and hello and see you later, but also understanding and acceptance and compassion and peace, but not in the I'm-a-hippie-who's-dropped-too much-acid-and-yeah-man-peace sort of way, but really peace.

It's almost too much for my mainlander brain to grasp. And I'm a sensitive chick.

When I first got word that we were coming here, I asked Husband, "Do you think I can lose 50 pounds before then?" He shook his weary head, rolled his weary eyes, sighed, and replied, "I'm sure you'll try." I gained 10, so...close enough. It's funny, though, to look back on that now and how silly that was, how silly that I let something like the size of my tummy take up so much of my brainpower.

This place will do that to you. Put things in perspective.

I have an inspiration board above the desk where First Son does homework. One of the pieces of inspiration is a simple card with the word perspective typed out inverted. He asked me about it and I got teary-eyed explaining how that upside-down perspective was the most important thing on the inspiration board. You have to learn to see things differently. Sometimes things aren't really that bad, just the way you're looking at them is bad. He nodded with that crease between his eyes and then went back to work on his engineering essay, but I hope he understood. I hope it got into some crack of his mind.

And I hope it gets into some crack of my mind as well. I hope the aloha and 'aina will seep into my bones, give me a new perspective, and when my time here is done (because it will be done, I don't belong to this place and it doesn't belong to me) I hope I can bring it back with me and eek it out in my life. Just a little bit, just a drop, a smudge of aloha, a thimble of 'aina, could change the world.  

1 comment:

  1. You are something, girl!!! Keep writing!! Aunt Frannie

    ReplyDelete