Monday, October 27, 2014

We Eat Spam-alot

Life on Hawaii is busy. Fear of missing out on something totally gnarly keeps us on the move. All that moving must be fueled and when you live on Hawaii, there's only one way to fuel it.

I buy three cans of Spam every week whether I need it or not.


Ha! Just kidding! I always need it.

One great thing about living in Hawaii is that it's O-K to like Spam. Let that sink in for a minute. It's alright, no one will judge you, it's likely no one will even notice. I'm sorry, but that's freedom itself right there.

We enjoy Spam several ways in my family, but my favorite is the good ole fashioned I'm-12-years-old-and-just-got-home-from-school-and-want-some-canned-meat way, i.e. fried up on some tasty white bread with a squirt of mustard.

We recently spent a busy morning at the beach riding SUPs and had a soccer game in the afternoon. In between all that, we had to eat, so I busted out my trusty Spam.

It looks truly disgusting straight from the can. And smells horrible. I have to stomach my way through this part.

Oh God! So gross!
I slice it up pretty thin 'cause that's how we roll in Hollie's Hale.

I'm about to vomit here.
And I throw it in my handy cast iron skillet that I use so much, I keep it stovetop.

Still fighting regurgitation, this looks so gross to me.

Brown it up nice and good.

Okay, looking yum.
Take white bread (the kind we used to eat in 1987, remember that?), squirt on some mustard, and throw on the beautiful brown Spam.

Heaven.

Serve with a side of Maui-style chips ('cause they're delicious) and some sweet tea ('cause Husband's from North Carolina), and get ready for the kids to beg for seconds and thirds and fourths...truly that good.


You're welcome, internet. You are welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment